[CoLoCo] Google releases open source WebM codec

Simon Engelbert engelbert.simon at gmail.com
Fri May 21 18:19:41 BST 2010

On Wednesday Google released a new open source WebM video codec that will
hopefully become the standard for HTML5 video. Great news for the open
source community! We should start to see this codec being utilized in
Firefox, Chrome/Chromium (Chromium already has it in its Daily PPA
build...but be careful it is not stable), Opera and hopefully some other
Linux supported browsers. It also sounds like Google has been working with
the GStreamer and PulseAudio teams to ensure it works well with Linux!

Personally I long for the day I don't have to worry about getting Flash to
work on my 64-bit (or even 32-bit) installs. Obviously I don't think it is
going to happen overnight and HTML5 may never completely take over
Flash.....but this is a great start!

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/05/webm-ubuntu.html

--
-Simon