[CoLoCo] Linux Certifications

Mon Feb 22 17:50:48 GMT 2010

CompTIA's Linux+ is what I think of as the lowest level Linux certification, certifying about 1000 hours (6 months x full-time) of experience and CompTIA works constantly to keep it relevant and useful.

LPIC-1 certifies a slightly higher knowledge level than L+, maybe a year of experience, and requires two exams to attain.

LPIC-1 automatically grants Novell CLA, and is a stepping stone toward Ubuntu CP, which requires one more exam LPI-199.  RHCE is still the most recognized mid-level Linux certification.

If you wanted to remain distribution agnostic after LPIC-1, you might go for LPIC-2 (two more exams), then LPIC-3 (one more more exam).

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
MCT MSCE N+ A+ L+ NovellCLA LPIC-1
tel://720.333.LANS
Freeing people from the tyranny (or whatevery) of Microsofty-ness, one at a time.