[CoLoCo] Job Situation

Kevin Fries kfries6 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 18:43:02 GMT 2010

I just got a response from somebody this morning asking about my job
situation, and I thought I would follow up to the group instead of a
bunch of individual messages.

I had a great interview about 3 weeks after being laid off, and got
offered that job 10 days later.  I started November 15th as a Systems
Engineer with Catalyst Repository Systems in LoDo.

Its awesome working in a place where Linux is part of the corporate
strategy instead of some back-door rogue OS that the company is almost
ashamed of.  I have worked for too many companies that used Linux but
never formally acknowledged it.  To me, Linux is far too often the hero
that everyone is ashamed to associate with (Why does the movie Blazing
Saddles come to my head right now, lol).  I knew I wanted to work here
when, in the interview, the Director of Systems Engineering (my now
boss's boss) walked in with an Ubuntu coffee cup, and the other guy I
was interviewing with (a remote member of the team, via skype) started
heckling him about is Linux choice, because to him Fedora was much
better... Ah, the mother ship had come to take me home....

Even got a 10% raise over my last company.

So, thank you for everyone that asked, and cared, or sent me a lead,
etc.  Its nice to know somebody has your back.

Now, all I need to do is get my 20 year old step-daughter a stable
"while I am going to college" job... But one could only hope for so much.

Take Care
Kevin Fries