[CoLoCo] A Cry for Help!

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 17:12:14 GMT 2009

Its sad but repeated attempts to get assistance from various Ubuntu
support groups and bug tracking have all fallen on deaf ears.  After
several months of waiting there's been no solution to a serious
problem which has been crippling new user's ability to use Ubuntu
properly.

The issue is "screen resolution", or to be exact how Ubuntu and X.org
configures graphics settings during.  All variants of Ubuntu 7.10 and
Kubuntu 8.04 have a feature to manually configure monitor settings in
the screen resolution app in System Settings, but Ubuntu 8.04 (with
Gnome) and Ubuntu 8.10 have a new screen resolution app which doesn't
have this feature.  There is no method of manually configuring the
monitor settings and this is causing hundreds of users, most of whom
are new to Linux, some serious problems.

When Ubuntu is installed X.org performs auto-configuration detection
of the graphics hardware; video card and monitor.  If the monitor you
have attached doesn't properly report what resolutions and refresh
rates it supports X.org falls back on fail safe settings which limits
the resolution to 800x600, and if you install the video card drivers
(Nvidia, ATI, Intel GMA, etc) you are restricted to 640x480 with no
way to manually configure your monitor settings to gain access to
other screen resolutions.

So far pleas to find a way around this problem in Ubuntu have fallen
on deaf ears.  I know of several who have lost their patience with
this and have given up on trying the OS to see if they like it or not.
 I'm no programmer, I can barely write a "Hello World" program in
Perl.  If I had the skill and the talent to write an app for manually
configuring these settings I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I he neither.

Is there anyone out there who can create such an app?  This is
desperately needed by the hundreds of us who have smacked face first
into this solid wall.  I'm currently using Kubuntu 8.04 because of
this issue, since its screen resolution app still has the feature for
manually configuring the monitor settings in KDE 3.x, but KDE 4.x
doesn't have it and neither does Gnome in Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10.  I
have no means to pay anyone to make such an app.  I'm on limited
income Disability and barely get by as it is.  Myself and the hundreds
of others who want to see this problem resolved would be eternally
grateful to anyone willing to step forward and help.  I'm sorry to lay
this on all of you but I'm out options.  This issue has been lingering
for far too long, thus its time for some brave hero to step forward to
slay this demon once and for all.

Thank you so much for your attention.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney