[CoLoCo] The End of Sun Microsystems

Jason B. Hill jason at jasonbhill.com
Fri Jul 17 17:25:54 BST 2009

There's a lot of gloom and doom about Sun being acquired, that linked
article being a good example. But, Sun was already in the midst of a
long-time evolving restructuring movement that was largely failing: the
stock price had dropped 80% in one year before they entered into acquisition
talks with IBM or Oracle, their posted losses last year were in the
billions, and they had slashed or planned to slash 15-18% of their
workforce.

I'm waiting to see what happens. Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic as I
hope Oracle's stated objectives for JAVA, Solaris and SPARC can make this
side of Sun thrive again. (OK, so their technology and products are awesome
already and they are still selling multi million dollar servers on a daily
basis... but they aren't thriving like they used to. Only one of the top 500
computers now uses SPARC, compared to 88 a couple of years ago.) In the end,
my roommate's ability to pay his rent will be decided by Oracle in the
coming days... so I have my fingers crossed... crossed very tightly.