[CoLoCo] Looking for a network monitor applet

Chomafin chomafin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 04:45:24 BST 2009

You could do a quick script of arp I'd think.
I don't know if its easy to hide your self from an arp table. A quick search
I found *arp-scan*;
http://www.nta-monitor.com/wiki/index.php/Arp-scan_Frequently_Asked_Questions.
It may be useful.

Arp-scan is a tool that uses ARP packets to scan for live hosts on the
> subnet. Since ARP doesn't traverse routers, this tool is only useful if you
> have direct connection (without a router hop) to a host.

Another tool I found with a quick googling is http://www.arpalert.org/ which
seems to be designed for just this purpose, but might have stalled. Seems
its last update was March 2008, where as arp-scan was June 09.

If this is a home network, you could set up mac filtering/assigned dhcp to
give a little more lock down from the basic net-hoppers. This won't stop any
who's putting any real effort into getting onto your wifi though.