[CoLoCo] Obama, education, IT, and Money

Jeffrey LePage jeffrey_lepage at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 14:58:55 GMT 2009

David Overcash wrote:
>> Jason - You'd have a bunch of us who are professionally certified and/or
>> extremely savvy Linux users (like yourself) who would be willing to help
>> with the migration as well.  I say go for it; see what happens. Don't
>> "force" Linux into the schools - but if they see it as a viable
>> opportunity,
>> jump on it!

I second this.  I'm pretty busy with a full time job and my second job running the (open source based) computer infrastructure at Free Horizon Montessori, but I'll help as much as I can.

For instance, I just set up Koha, an open source integrated library system.  According to the librarians I've spoken to, most library software out there is 1) expensive and 2) sucky.  Koha, on the other hand, seems nice and it's free as in beer/freedom.  If you're interested, we could do a demo.

There's a lot of odd bits that you'll need to know.  Here's a random sample:
1) If you tell a teacher "Pick out a spot in your classroom for this new computer", they won't do it unless you insist.  You need to _politely_ refuse to move until they do it.  Practice phrases like: "Oh, it'll just take a minute.  I'll help you move the desks around.  We might as well get it done now."
2) you will discover that teachers ask for software applications that you didn't anticipate.  For instance, you need to find a good typing tutor program and set it up.  I don't know why, but many teachers are convinced that even lower elementary students need to know touch-typing.  Go figure.
3) a good chess program is also required.  Plus set up some bookmarks to online chess resources.
4) Expect to be asked to make use of very old hardware.  Get to know Xubuntu and Openbox well.

Good luck,
Jeff Lepage