[CoLoCo] Recent Mac Purchase

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Fri Feb 20 05:40:15 GMT 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:29 AM, NICK VERBECK <nerdynick at gmail.com> wrote:

> So as some of you know I just bought a MacBook. My question becomes
> what method do you all suggest to install Ubuntu on this thing when I
> get it. VM(VMWare Fusion and/or Parallels), Dual Boot, or Boot camp?

Good move. I'm really liking apple hardware and OSX is actually somewhat
cool. Buying a windows box just gives MS another sale. Now you have
something that's actually usable (although many things with apple still
suck).

Not sure about the rest of the people here, but I've actually installed
Ubuntu onto several macs now. It is "largely" a simple process with a few
hiccups. I did the dual boot on a new aluminum one (I think you actually saw
this one) and it works more or less just fine. However, I've also installed
Ubuntu using Vbox and in some ways I like this better. It's certainly easier
and everything still works and you don't have to reboot all the time. With
full screen mode no one will even know OSX is still behind the sceen. If you
plan to use Ubuntu more than 1/2 the time then maybe a dual boot is the way
to go but power management is still an issue. With the Vbox method you still
get all the great apple power management.

Unless you just want to play with the dual boot option, I would suggest
using Vbox first and see how that goes. If you end up wanting to do a "real"
install you still can but you might find that the Vbox method is good
enough. I'd be happy to meet sometime and show you more about what I have
going and help you do the install if you want. It's not hard but there are
few issues to address.

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)
----