[CoLoCo] Linux & Ubuntu Certification Study Group

Tue Feb 10 20:12:58 GMT 2009

Please go ahead and pre-order the LPIC-1 Study Guide, 2nd Edition, as specified below, if you're planning to participate in the Certification Study Group.  My other material won't be happening.

It looks like a 6:30 start time will work better for at least a couple people.  So, is everyone OK with 6:30pm to 10PM?

I have confirmed that we can use Parsec's classroom for this purpose and extended this invitation to another group.  PLEASE invite your other friends.  Make sure they pre-order their book.  See you in March.

Questions or comments?

David L. Willson
Network Engineer
MCT, MCSE, Linux+
tel://720.333.LANS

----- Original Message -----
From: "David L. Willson" <DLWillson at TheGeek.NU>
To: "Ubuntu Colorado Local Community Team" <ubuntu-us-co at lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Monday, February 9, 2009 10:35:52 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: Linux & Ubuntu Certification Study Group

Study material notes:

 - The 2nd Edition of the LPIC-1 Study Guide by Rod Smith is set to come out in early March.
 - At Buy and Amazon, it's $38 to pre-order.  At Sybex, $60 in stock.

   http://www.buy.com/prod/lpic-1-linux-professional-institute-certification-study-guide-exams/q/loc/106/209158868.html
   http://www.amazon.com/LPIC-1-Linux-Professional-Institute-Certification/dp/0470404833/

Proposed:
 - I propose that we all pre-order from Buy or Amazon ASAP and begin meeting on March 16th at 6PM.
 - Each person will be expected to read the planned chapter(s) before we meet for hands-on.
 - Each person will be expected to do additional exercises as needed to reinforce unfamiliar concepts.
 - Both of the above are outside classroom time.
 - We should trade contact information in case there are last-minute changes.  My cell number's in my sig.

Established:
 - We're going to meet on Monday evenings for 3.5 hours, for 10 weeks, and then take the LPIC exams.
 - We'll use the LPIC-1: Linux Professional Institute Certification Study Guide: (Exams 101 and 102) by Roderick W. Smith
 - We'll meet at my office at 999 18th St, Suite 1725, Denver, CO, 80123
 - When we finish with LPIC-1, we will begin studying for the Ubuntu Certified Professional add-on exam.

Ward:
 - Don't forget to fix the subject line if you reply.

David L. Willson
Network Engineer
MCT, MCSE, Linux+
tel://720.333.LANS