[CoLoCo] Capturing video

Kyle Anderson kyle at xkyle.com
Tue Dec 8 23:11:54 GMT 2009

Kenneth,
I've had great success with anything made by Hauppauge. Even their
crappy frame grabbing "wintv". All of them are supported with the
video4linux2 framework.

I've got an extra fancy one that encodes to mpeg2. Would you like to
meet up and borrow it? I don't mind, my mythtv server is out of pci slots.

Once you have the input selected with v4lctl, it is as simple as:
cat /dev/video > myhomevideo.mpeg

No fooling. From there you can use any encoding software to encode to
whatever you need, or go straight to dvd from there. (dvd is mpeg2)

Kyle