[CoLoCo] open source alternative to MS Publisher?

Andrew Barney keen101 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 05:55:33 GMT 2009

I've tried to use scribus myself. It's usable i suppose, but i never really
liked the interface. If one can get used to the interface it probably would
be an ok alternative. I dont think it can open publisher files.
Fullcirclemagazine has some nice scribus tutorial articles.
http://fullcirclemagazine.org/download-manager.php?id=1

I myself was introduced to Adobe InDesign in a graphics art class. Since
then i never could settle for any other program. I use InDesign in
virtualbox. Its proprietary, but way better than publisher in my opinion.
I've heard good things about Quark too, but again its another proprietary
software. Perhaps there is a chance to use the money you save on msoffice to
buy indesign? heh heh

If he wants any chance to use his old files with Scribus or InDesign, or any
other program his best bet would to export into *EPS or PDF* files.

Thats my two cents. take it with a grain of salt.

-Andrew