[CoLoCo] Ubuntu Needs A sysctl GUI

Scott Scriven ubuntu-us-co at toykeeper.net
Fri Oct 24 10:25:19 BST 2008

* Michael TheZorch Haney <thezorch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ubuntu needs a GUI frontend for sysctl that explains every
> setting in plain language and is easy to use but powerful.

What is your use case here?

I suspect most of the people who care about sysctl tend to use it
on headless servers, where GUIs aren't as useful.

> Such a tool could be the TweakUI of the Linux world,

As I understand it, TweakUI provides some extra user interface
settings for the Windows GUI, such as whether to use drop
shadows, and which search engines the browser should use.  Sysctl
lets you modify Linux kernel settings, like whether to forward
packets, and how aggressively old pages should be swapped to
disk.  (for a full list of settings, run 'find /proc/sys' or
'sysctl -a')

How are the two related?

> a tool that would most certainly attract more Windows users

The settings in sysctl seem like exactly the sort of things which
keep Windows users away from Linux.  IP fragmentation thresholds
and buffer flush delays are just gibberish to people who only
want to browse the web and make spreadsheets.

-- Scott