[CoLoCo] using windoze drivers for usb scanner on linux

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 08:25:41 BST 2008

Jeffrey LePage wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> A parent donated a flatbed scanner to one of our classrooms.  We run Ubuntu Hardy Heron and the scanner is a Visioneer OneTouch 8800.
>
> The SANE site says this particular scanner is not supported.  Oh well.
>
> What about running it under wine?  A quick scan of the wine docs suggests that this will not work as wine is not designed to support hardware drivers.
>
> I haven't tried anything yet.  I was informed about the new scanner yesterday afternoon and didn't have time to do anything but note the brand/model.
>
> Any suggestions?  Maybe I should just sell it on craigslist and buy a used epson or HP.  I've always had good luck with those brands.

The problem with a lot of these low cost scanners and printers is that
they're almost always Windows only.  That's because their hardware has
the bare minimum components to work and rest of their functionality is
handled by software ... just like WinModems which are mostly software
driven.  I had a Lexmark printer that was like this, all of its
functions were handled by the drivers in Windows and the printer itself
had just enough hardware to do its thing when directed by the computer.
The printer even slowed down in printing when the system became busy.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home