[CoLoCo] Pictures on CDs

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Tue Oct 7 04:30:10 BST 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Kenneth D Weinert <kenw at quarter-flash.com>wrote:

> I've gone brain dead, and maybe I'm just not searching for the right
> stuff.
>
> I have some images (my daughter's Homecoming) that'd I'd like to burn
> to a CD in a way that would make it easy for my parents to just pop in
> the computer and have them display. Some sort of a gallery thing,
> preferably.

While not really a Linux specific tool, I think Picasa has a tool for making
a backup or slideshow CD. Picasa does work in Linux (you can find it on
Google's site) but I've never acually tried the slideshow option so don't
know how well it works. Anyway, just a thought.
F-spot also has an export feature for CD and other options. That might meet
your need too but not sure what it does exactly as I've never tried it.
The easiest option is probably just to upload to any photo sharing site and
then you don't have to do anything. Sites like Snapfish also allow people
you designate to order prints which is great for sharing with family and
they pay so it saves you money. Picasa web is cool because you can also
download the full resolution image which most other sites don't allow or
charge for. However, unless you pay I think you only get 250MB of free space
on Picasa which is fine for short projects but not for long term storage or
more than a few hundred pics.
--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)
----