[CoLoCo] Canonical bringing Ubuntu to ARM-powered devices

Ryan Maki ryan.maki at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 23:10:46 GMT 2008

Windows XP Embedded already runs on the ARM9 generation of processors.
It has for at least several years now.  It is also very modular so
that OEMs can customize the footprint  (bundled apps and drivers) for
the device. And the Embedded version can look just like "regular" XP
to the average user. So that's already a done deal.

The problem is running applications on it, basically it has to
be .Net, because the C++ Win32 world just doesn't have the experience
to develop for ARM9.  They can do it, but the tools aren't as
"forgiving" so to speak. I think that Windows Mobile already provides
a good example of this phenomenon.

So even if they do release Win32 versions I think the Linux crowd has
the advantage in portability. No worries.

~Ryan