[CoLoCo] Problems Creating Custom Panel Launcher For CLI Application

Darrin Goodman darrin.goodman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 22:29:12 GMT 2008

Greetings!  I have a question about creating a custom application launcher
in Ubuntu.

So most of us are probably fairly well experienced with creating launchers
in the Gnome panel that allow us to quickly launch our favorite and most
used applications.  What about when you wish to launch a command line
application and have the terminal stay open and active, even after the
command has executed?

For instance, let's say that I am trying to launch the following command:
$ nmap --help

I've been trying to create a panel launcher that will open up gnome-terminal
and execute the command "nmap --help".  I can either get gnome-terminal to
open and the command is not executed, or nothing at all will happen.

gnome-terminal nmap --help

I've looked at the following two guides on creating panel launchers:
https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/user-guide/C/launchers.html
http://library.gnome.org/users/user-guide/stable/launchers-properties.html.en

Also, I have tried shearn89's suggestion of creating an alternate
gnome-terminal profile, etc.:

gnome-terminal --window-with-profile=XXXXXX -e nmap --help

So far, this has given me the best results; however, only a portion of the
nmap help is displayed, and then the terminal is in a locked state (can't
type or do anything to the terminal other than close it).

Still searching for a valid solution.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

- Darrin