[CoLoCo] Windows Is A PC Myth

Thu May 29 18:49:57 BST 2008

One of the things the RMS harps on pretty regularly is that freedom-lovers all speak the
same language, gently destroying propaganda and preconceived notions that regular users
have and showing them the realities and alternatives in terms they can understand.

Along those lines, I have begun to use the term "Digital Restrictions Management",
because it more accurately describes what DRM does.  I call any media, that has been
restricted to only be usable under certain conditions, Digitally Restricted Media.  It
fits the acronym, and helps the hearer to understand what is happening.

I also do not pirate.  Inasmuch as I understand the contract inherent in the use of
anything produced by an artist, whether it's a programmer, a musician, an actor, or
whatever, I abide the terms of that contract, or I forgo the contract and whatever
benefit I might have gotten from the product.  By not pirating, I get two things.  I
show folks that it's possible, and I don't contribute mind-share to producers that offer
unacceptable contract terms.

Back on speaking the same language: I am always careful to mention Windows when I mean
Windows.  I never assume that the user is using Windows, even though they probably are.
 I never ask the user to click on their Start button, for example, before I ask them
whether they are using Windows and then wait for an answer.  This gently awakens them to
the fact that there is some other possibility, and some ask, "What do you mean?", which
allows me to explain what I mean, and briefly show them what I have envisioned for the
world of personal computers, and what I am building in my computing world as fast as I
may.  If I haven't spoken with a particular user in a while, I will ask, "Are you still
using Windows?" before I begin, and with some it's become an in-joke...  "yeah,
still..."  With technologists, my peers, we who are responsible for steering the world
of computing and communications, I ever-so-subtly change the word "using" to the word
"choosing", since I assume that they know there is a choice and that they are
responsible for making that choice, not only for themselves, but also for those they
lead (support).

I suggest that all us freedom-lovers do the same.  Never assume that your friend is
using Windows.  Never assume that your tech-savvy friends are choosing Windows.
Instead, ask them, and be ready to describe and support your chosen alternative.