[CoLoCo] Remote Access

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Wed May 7 15:57:36 BST 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Kevin Fries <kfries at cctus.com> wrote:

> > Remote... "Desktop" ?
> >
> > What's wrong with ssh?
>
> Dynamic IPs.  One side will be a cable modem, the other will be my
> satellite connection.  I have solved this problem in the past using SSH
> to build persistent tunnels over the Internet before.  I have found this
> solution to be a "Works 85% -95%" type solution.  The persistent tunnel
> could carry either a SSH or a vnc connection without any problems.
> Hamachi can also be used in the same way to provide a private network
> over 5.x.x.x networks.  Again, a solid "85% - 95%" type solution.  I
> have had issues with Hamachi remaining up in a Linux environment.  Much
> more stable in Windows, and even in Windows I have seen lots of
> problems.  I was just probing to see if anyone knew of anything else,
> like a "GoToMyPc for Linux".

I use ssh to tunnel to my computer at home and I have a dynamic IP assigned
by qwest and it changes any time I reboot the router. For me the solution
was to use http://www.dyndns.com/ and set up a domain name for my IP. My
router will update dyndns anytime the IP changes. It's a pretty simple
solution and not unlike GoToMyPc - at least as I understand it.

--
Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)
----