[CoLoCo] Ubuntu Wins Hacker Contest

Mon Mar 31 18:26:47 BST 2008

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 00:45:16 -0600, David Overcash wrote
> What's sad is that the actual "test" didn't prove anything.  None of the
> system vulnerabilities were due to CORE applications that were part of the
> operating system, they were all extra applications.

If this was "core services only", you'd be right, but it's not, it's testing the entire
attack surface of a functioning workstation.  Ubuntu won.

> While I would love to simply declare Ubuntu (or GNU/Linux) as the outright
> winner, that's simply crazy.

I think it's pretty reasonable.  Ubuntu installs with a browser and a PDF reader and
about the same amount of layered product as Vista or Mac, maybe a bit more.  If Vista
provided a PDF reader, or if a PDF reader was an unneeded vulnerability, it would be
appropriate to object.  If Mac didn't default to that web browser, it would be
appropriate to object.  But neither is the case.  Ubuntu won on the same field with the
same attack surface, if not broader.  Why is that win invalid?