[CoLoCo] permission question

Sun Mar 30 06:04:20 BST 2008

try this:

cd /home/user
# # Set a specific directory perm on this directory.
chmod 0755 .
# # Set the same perms on all directories under this directory.
find -xtype d -exec chmod 0755 {} \;
# # Set a similar (but not same) permission on all files.
find -xtype f -exec chmod 0644 {} \;

That should fix most of the mess.

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:28:31 -0600, Jim Hutchinson wrote
> They say a little knowledge is dangerous. I think I'm finding out how true
> that is. I was logged in as one kid trying to open a file in the others home
> directory. It wasn't working and in my experience you can usually open files
> in others /home. That seems to be the default in ubuntu. However, for
> whatever reason it wasn't working so I tried to "fix" it by chmod-ing to 655
> (I thought this was the default perms for /home) but it didn't help so I
> bumped it up to 777. It still didn't work and I don't know why.
>
> However, the permission changes f-ed up the users account as now it won't
> log in. I get this error...
>
> "User's $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session
> and language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644
> permissions. User's $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writable
> by other users."
>
> I tried doing
>
> sudo chmod -R 644 /home/user
>
> but that didn't help and when you do an ls -l it gives -????????? ? ? ? ?
> for the perms and owner info. Changing to 655 gives
>
> -rw-r-xr-x 1 777 leina size date file.name
>
> Can anyone offer a solution to this? I've noticed in hardy any changes to
> perms with 644 screws it up.
>
> Thanks.
> -jim

David L. Willson