[CoLoCo] permission question

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Sat Mar 29 19:23:28 GMT 2008

>     A quick fix is:
>
>     cd $HOME
>     find . -type d | xargs chmod 0755
>     find . -type f | xargs chmod 0644
>

> Hey, that seems to be doing the job. Thanks. One question though. It
> seems to try and do this for all users as I get permission denied on
> files and dirs of other users. Is there a way to make it ignore the
> other users? Or should I use sudo so it can do them all. My only
> concern with that though is that it might affect things that are
> outside /home. So far I've confined the damage to home folders. I
> really don't want to jack up the root file system.

You should do this in the user's home, so, where my username is
rockstar, I would cd to /home/rockstar (which is usually what your $HOME
variable should be.  NEVER use sudo unless you're completely sure what
you're doing, especially when you're doing operations on massive counts
of directories or files

Paul