[CoLoCo] permission question

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Sat Mar 29 19:13:35 GMT 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Paul Hummer <paul at eventuallyanyway.com>
wrote:

> Collins Richey wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Jim Hutchinson <jim at ubuntu-rocks.org>
> wrote:
> >

> >> Okay, I'm getting it about right. However, all the directories are set
> >> drw-r--r-- (i.e. no x). Is there a way to change the dirs to 755 or 655
> or
> >> whatever is right without doing it one by one? Using -R will affect
> files
> >> too I suppose.
> >>

> > Now would be a fine time to learn about the intricacies of using find
> > to search out directories only and piping the found directory names to
> > a command that applies the changes. Warning, you'll want to do a dry
> > run that only echos the commands first!
> >
> > A little googling should bring up thousands of examples for this very
> > common tool set.
> >

> A quick fix is:
>
> cd $HOME
> find . -type d | xargs chmod 0755
> find . -type f | xargs chmod 0644

Hey, that seems to be doing the job. Thanks. One question though. It seems
to try and do this for all users as I get permission denied on files and
dirs of other users. Is there a way to make it ignore the other users? Or
should I use sudo so it can do them all. My only concern with that though is
that it might affect things that are outside /home. So far I've confined the
damage to home folders. I really don't want to jack up the root file system.

Thanks,
-jim