[CoLoCo] USB woes

Kenneth D Weinert kenw at quarter-flash.com
Mon Mar 24 15:38:11 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 09:17 -0700, David L. Willson wrote:
> - try other USB devices.
> - try other ports.
> - try another computer.

My usb keyboard and trackman work fine (although those don't work if
unplugged and replugged), a different port makes no difference.

The other computer idea is a bit annoying.

I have 3 systems that all started out the same from a software
standpoint - install of Ubuntu.

I don't have this issue on my laptop or home box, but it's been a
recurring issue on this work box. The last time this happened I tracked
down some advice on making a change in /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh by
uncommenting a couple of lines. This was only done on the work system
since it was the only one that failed.

Now, some set of system updates later (the ones that show up in the
panel that say you can update stuff) USB devices like my camera aren't
working again.  The other two systems, with the same updates, don't have
this problem.

I'll stipulate up front that all three machines most likely don't have
exactly the same software installed on them now and that's the likely
reason for different behaviour, but I've not, to my knowledge, modified
anything in the basic configuration, just added software packages.

At any rate, I appreciate the advice and suggestions so far.

--
Ken Weinert
http://quarter-flash.com