[CoLoCo] Ubuntu 8.04 Beta Released

Scott Scriven ubuntu-us-co at toykeeper.net
Fri Mar 21 22:04:19 GMT 2008

* Walter Lamia <walterlamia at buildingcoach.com> wrote:
> Clean installing to upgrade is just not a viable option,

This is one of the main reasons I like Debian and Ubuntu.  Clean
installing isn't really necessary.

I finally retired my first Debian box just a few months ago...
it was installed in early 1997, and lasted until early 2008.
During that time, the hardware changed completely a few times,
and I either moved hard drives or copied the data to new drives.
I never had to reinstall.

The main reason I retired it was because I wanted to switch it to
Ubuntu and felt it was time to start fresh again.  A decade of
cruft can get messy.

> The Linux community MUST address this long-standing issue in a
> user-friendly way.

Windows does have an advantage in terms of backward
compatibility...  old win98 apps can still run on XP, and maybe
Vista.  But this is also one of the main reasons Windows
development moves so slowly, and has so many bugs.  Microsoft
never gets to fix its old mistakes, because it might break old
applications.

This explains a bit about it, and why Linux will never take the
same approach:  ("stable api nonsense" section)

  http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/ols_2006_keynote.html

-- Scott