[CoLoCo] Ubuntu Book

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Tue Mar 18 21:37:17 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 14:19 -0700, David L. Willson wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> Are you going to give this book to your Mom?  If you do, would you let me know her
> reaction?  I'm one of those people that won't buy a book that's "for dummies", and I put
> many, many books back on the shelf for taking 20 words to coat in candy what could have
> been said in six.  Damn, I hate being talked down to.  Having said that, I always wonder
> how "real users" feel about the sugar-coating.  Are they as repulsed by it as I am, or
> is it really something that helps?

Yea, I am with you on that.  When I was teaching, I would often get
students asking about those books, and most of them are written for Ms
Rachet's ward.  A lobotomy helps it to become interesting.  That is why
I was impressed enough with this book to mention it.  This book doesn't
sugar coat as much as it simplifies.  But, my mom will be here in about
a month, and I will be giving it to her then.  I will follow up with her
reactions.

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer