[CoLoCo] Ubuntu Book

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Tue Mar 18 21:13:06 GMT 2008

I found a book this weekend and thought I would share my thoughts on it.

I am in the process of building a machine for my mom that I can manage
easily from remote (she lives in Phoenix, and nothing good ever came of
my father trying to fix the computer, lol).  In case there was any doubt
that was spelled u-b-u-n-t-u.

The book is called "Ubuntu for Non-Geeks".  The second addition I got
for her is based upon Feisty Fawn.  It even includes a Feisty disk in
the back of the book.

The book is really written down to an average user for the most part,
with a very light, jovial, easy reading style.  Not as stuffy as the
books most of us in the group have cramming our selves.  I realize that
books written at a pace to keep up with me, overloads the average
person, so this book is extremely nice in that context.

The first paragraph talks about what is Ubuntu and Linux.  It talks
about operating systems only in very generic terms.  So it is not
overwhelming.  It even discusses Tux.

The second paragraph walks the user through the install of the disk.
Plain and simple, dialog by dialog.

After that, they slowly move from desktop down into the different types
of programs.  As the book goes along, it does get into some pretty hairy
stuff, like connecting your iPod, digital camera, burning CDs, etc.  So
while it talks in simple language, it moves along at a pretty nice pace.

My only criticism would be three things:

First, it does go into the command prompt, and stays there a little
longer than many novices may feel comfortable.  I think he is trying to
make the novice feel that if you do need to go to the command prompt,
don't worry, its not that scary.  In so doing, I think he went a little
deeper than he intended, and in turn, may have created a self-fulfilling
prophecy.

Second, in order to not scare users about being able to play their
favorite DVD or song, he went the Automatix route.  Last I heard,
Automatix and Ubuntu were on kissing terms, but only on the cheek, no
lips.  Lots of bad blood to get over quickly.  I would have preferred he
showed how to add those repos to the apt system, but he didn't.

Third, he actually went through one example of a "configure/make/make
install" software install.  Again, I think it was to show a no big deal
kind of attitude.  Again, wish he wouldn't have.

All in all, the bad stuff comprises an extremely small amount of the
book.  Given its easy reading style, and advanced concepts, I would
recommend that any of you that are looking to set up a non-geek with an
Ubuntu desktop, take a look at this book.  It may not be perfect, but
for anyone like my mom, I would clearly give this book an A-.

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer