[CoLoCo] Looking for slideshow software

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Tue Mar 18 20:40:18 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 14:02 -0600, Kenneth D Weinert wrote:
> I'm the photographer for my daughter's JV Soccer team (there's another
> guy shooting the varsity team.)  When the season started the school said
> they had a contract with some sort of Memory Book company and we'd be
> able to upload photos and they'd produce what was to essentially be a
> yearbook supplement for the sports teams.
>
> Now, due to a myriad of factors, this doesn't look like it's going to
> happen. But the two of us photographers decided that if the parents buy
> into it we'll put the pictures on CD for the girls and their families.
>
> I've worked with a place before that I can get the discs duplicated
> fairly inexpensively (depending on the number of discs, from $4-$7,
> including thin case and 4 page full color insert and color print on the
> disk.)
>
> I'd like to go just a bit upscale from a list of pictures on the disc
> though. I was thinking of a slideshow, perhaps with some music behind
> the pictures.
>
> Since I'm not normally the multimedia person I thought I'd ask here if
> anyone had ideas.
>
> I won't say that autoplay on Windows is a requirement, but it'd be a
> very nice feature. I, of course, am not looking for a Windows-only
> solution, just a Windows-accommodating one.
>
> Any hints, links, pointers, etc will be greatly appreciated.

There is a near professional level image management program out there
written in Java called Blue Marine

http://bluemarine.tidalwave.it

EXCELLENT program!  And I believe it has a slideshow feature complete
with transitions.  But I have never used the feature.  Therefore I am
not sure exactly how it works.

I wont have time to check it out until this weekend.  But the tool is
aimed to be a step up from the standard gThumb but below the fully
professional tools.  So I suspect it should probably do a great job.

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer