[CoLoCo] virtualization in hardy: kvm

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Sat Mar 15 05:05:21 GMT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 06:19:32PM -0600, Jim Hutchinson wrote:
> This is an interesting discussion (no, I'm not being sarcastic) though it's way
> over my head. However, it's my understanding that "something" to do with VMs is
> now included in hardy. I am running hardy now and would like to play around
> with installing other Linux distros and windows (just to say I can and not
> 'cause it's useful) in a VM. I tried VMware and VirtualBox before with some
> success but never enough to be useful in any way (probably due largely to my
> own lack of knowledge). How would I go about taking advantage of this feature
> in hardy? Note, my AMD CPU is the older 939 and does not support hardware
> virtualization but I have a laptop with a core 2 that does. I'd rather use my
> AMD desktop if I can.

Did you check out the draft hardy documentation I referenced at the
beginning of this thread?

 http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/virtualization.html

It covers the cool kvm and libvirt work Soren has been integrating,
and jeos via vmware.

You can also dig around for howtos on qemu, xen and VirtualBox which
should work on the AMD.

See e.g.:

 http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/category/virtualization/

-Neal