[CoLoCo] virtualization in hardy: kvm

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Thu Mar 13 22:25:17 GMT 2008

Kevin, sorry if I was confusing.  VMware should continue to work
better and better in Ubuntu, and continues to be recommended by VMware
and Canonical.

See also, e.g., new free packages like

And note new, free, ways to construct VMware images as discussed

But of course Ubuntu, as a free software project, is focussed on free
software like kvm.  And Canonical is also continuing to work with
others to improve how other VM technologies work on the platform.

See below for more expert input from an expert at Canonical.

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/

----- Forwarded message from Nick Barcet <nick.barcet at canonical.com> -----

Neal McBurnett wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Kevin Fries <kfries at cctus.com> -----
> To: Ubuntu Colorado Local Community Team <ubuntu-us-co at lists.ubuntu.com>
> From: Kevin Fries <kfries at cctus.com>
> Subject: Re: [CoLoCo] virtualization in hardy: kvm
>>> hmmmmmm, interesting because Jous is only designed for use in VMWare.
>>> Something is not making sense.  Also, my lab machines are never going to
>>> handle the KVM kernel module.  Hell, they don't handle the standard
>>> kernel all that well to start with.  I hope I don't have to switch
>>> distros again!  I am really getting settled in the Ubuntu!
>> JeOS is a generic term the way I see it, and can be implemented with
>> any number of different VM systems.  The documentation needs revision
>> to clarify that, and I think the revisions are forthcoming.
> no JeOS is a actual distro like kubuntu.  It is preloaded with specific
> optimizations in the kernel, and drivers specifically for VMWare.  It
> even has the VMWare extentions.

Ubuntu JeOS is not a distro per say, it is a subset of ubuntu server
edition with a -virtual kernel designed to work with WMware-server,
VMware-ESX and KVM. It's full name is Ubuntu Server Edition JeOS.

>> Yeah - lack of hardware support will be an issue for a few more years,
>> I guess.  But nice to see that things are converging relatively well
>> now, I think.
> I would not call this a good turn, not by a long shot.  Our corp
> standard is RedHat/Fedora, and I was starting to make headway with
> Ubuntu.  RH/F's convergence on KVM was one of the reasons Ubuntu got
> looked at so hard.  We refuse to use it here, and purchase VMWare.  With
> VMWare in the repos for building test and lab environments, this was a
> much more natural fit than the KVM based RedHat.
> As someone that has built probably 75 VMs since the first of the year,
> there is not much in the VM world I have not tried.  VMWare just works.
> KVM, does not work reliably.  Never has.  I would have preferred VBox
> over KVM.  VBox has some fantastic features such as "Seamless Mode".

Ubuntu is NOT abandoning VMware, and Canonical beleive strongly that
VMware-ESX is the only safe choice for complex data-center needs. It is
the by far the best tested and instrumented solution so we are working
closely with VMware to have Ubuntu Server Edition (including JeOS) to
work smoothly on ESX.

VMware-server, on the other hand is a free (as in free beer) kindly
offered by VMware to work on Linux, and VMware pays for it to be in the
partner repo, but it is not officially supported by anyone.

KVM is an open-source alternative that is supported by Canonical but
that is not in any way close to what ESX offers at this time in terms of
certfication (other os than Ubuntu running on it are not part of the
support offer) and instrumentation.

>> I'm told that vmware should be in the partner (commercial) repository
>> around the time of release.  Such is the nature of dealing with
>> proprietary stuff, I guess.  But I assume that vmware will be working
>> hard to make sure it works well.  Giving them feedback might help.
> God I hope so.  I just broke the news to my boss, and he is not a happy
> man.  If I end up with a Windows Server box, somebody is going to get
> fired (hint: me, for the fit I will end up throwing)

VMware-SERVER should be in the partner repo, yes.

Hope this helps,

Nick Barcet <nick.barcet at canonical.com>
Ubuntu Server Product Manager
Phone: +33 9 5213 3217 Fax: +33 9 5713 3217  Mobile: +33 6 8974 8570
http://www.ubuntu.com/server - http://www.canonical.com/