[CoLoCo] virtualization in hardy: kvm

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Thu Mar 13 19:56:50 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 01:35:21PM -0600, Kevin Fries wrote:
> Does anybody know when submission cutoff is on Hardy?  It sounds as if
> desktop is getting there, but server is lagging.  I am having to retreat
> to Gutsy... Oh well, I tried.

We're about to hit beta - so only critcal new features will make it in:

 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyReleaseSchedule

> I tried to set up my VMs and... well... lets just say, not pretty.
> Problems with Grub, problems with kernel options, and now only Opera is
> in the commercial repo, no vmware.  Tried vmware from the vmware site,
> but the headers are missing.  This is all stuff that will be fixed by
> release, but not today... oh well

The virtualization direction for Ubuntu is kvm - the open source stuff
that is clean and well integrated with the standard kernel:

 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek0802/Vitrualize

See the ubuntu-vm-builder package for building new vms, and
for converting vmware images to kvm, see this script:

 http://people.ubuntu.com/~soren/vmware2libvirt/

Draft documentation is at

 http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/virtualization.html

This stuff is cool and important, and testing and commentary on it
stuff would be really helpful!

Server devs are talking about running 10 virtual machines at once,
including multiple cpus etc.

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/