[CoLoCo] Very Off-Topic but Probably of Great Interest

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 23:49:47 GMT 2008

This is very off-topic but since most of you live in Colorado I'd
thought I had share this with you and it might be of great interest to
you also.

"Star Trek: Phase II" will be featured at the 66th World Science Fiction
Convention on August 6th - 10th in Denver, Colorado.  Phase II is the
renamed fan-made "Star Trek: New Voyages" series which continues the
adventures of Kirk and company on the Enterprise.  The fan series has
attracted a lot of attention as well as the supporting collaboration of
original Star Trek alumni such as D.C. Fontana (writer of many original
series episodes and novels), George Takei (reprising his role as Sulu),
Walter Koenig (reprising his role as Chekov), Barbara Luna
(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0526008/), Malachi
Throne.(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0861943/) and William Windom
(reprising his role as Commodore Matthew Decker).

The 4th and 5th episodes will be out this year.

Production values are surprisingly high in this fan series which employs
faithful recreations of the bridge and ship interiors as well as
extensive use of CG effects, green screen, and digital mat paintings.
Everything you'd see in a commercial production but all done using
equipment and software available to the average consumer.  The added
assistance they received from famous original series alumni adds
credibility to their efforts.  The only downside is that the episodes,
which can be downloaded for free, are in WMV and MOV format.  There are
DVD images that can be downloaded via Bittorrent you can burn and watch
on any DVD player with menus.

If you are a Trek fan I recommend you give a few of these episodes a try.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home