[CoLoCo] scary script

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 19:36:55 GMT 2008

The answer to how they do this simple.  They check the web server logs
which keeps track of the IP addresses you are coming from which lets
them know what ISP you are likely coming from and thus lets them know
what general (but not specific) geographical location you are coming
from.  The logs also report information reported by the browser, which
is the OS being used and the browser being used.  Then there is your
login info itself, which might include what sex you are and your zip
code.  This data is used to determine which web ads are reaching which
groups of people.  TV advertisers do pretty much the same thing as this
but with random surveys around the country or get demographical data
from local TV stations and networks based on Nielson Ratings.  This is
nothing new and nothing to be worried about.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home