[CoLoCo] Best backup solution

Sun Mar 9 03:41:04 GMT 2008

Near as I can tell, your grub and all say exactly what they ought to.  You were right!
So, backing up a step:  Are you still getting the error "target filesystem doesn't have
/sbin/init"?  When you try to boot up, do you see something like the attached
screenshot?  If so, let's check to see whether that filesystem is healthy, and whether
it does have an /sbin/init.  Then we'll pick an action from there, probably something to
do with chroot and ubuntu-minimal.

Do the following, and send back the output, if you would:

Boot your recovery environment and mount your md devices the same way you have been.  I
will assume /dev/md1 at /media/md1 and /dev/md0 at /media/md0.

First, we'll look for /sbin/init on md1, and see what we see.
$  ls -l /media/md1/sbin/init
Next, we'll confirm that nothing but data is on md0.
$  ls -l /media/md0
Now, unmount the devices, and confirm that they have no filesystem errors.
$  sudo umount /media/md1
$  sudo fsck.ext3 -fnv /dev/md1
You probably don't need to check md0, but if you want to...
$  sudo fsck.ext3 -fnv /dev/md0