[CoLoCo] Best backup solution

Michael Robbert mrobbert at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 18:45:59 GMT 2008

RAID isn't really meant for backup anyways. RAID 1 is good for high
availability and just happens to protect against some HW failures, but
if you get data corruption it will be on both drives and there is no
backup to turn to. Not to mention there is no way for off site
storage. i.e. What happens if your house burns down?
Unfortunately I don't have any concrete suggestions for you since I
don't do a good job with personal backups either. I use AMANDA at
work, but that is really overkill for home use and is much more work
to setup than any RAID. I would suggest looking into Amazon's S3
service. It is a remote disk system that is dirt cheap. There are some
tools built to access it for backup purposes. Jungle Disk is one that
I've heard is very recommended. It is a piece of software that will
backup your data to S3 with encryption so that you're the only one
with the key.

Good luck,
Mike