[CoLoCo] Best backup solution

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Sat Mar 8 17:50:00 GMT 2008

My failure to get software RAID to work is leaving me wondering how best to
go about backing up. I do occasionally copy my entire /home to a different
drive but it's not a daily thing and not a perfect solution. I thought RAID
1 would have been a good solution - there is always two copies and, in
theory, you just drop in a new drive if one fails and away you go.
Unfortunately, RAID is too difficult to use - at least for me. I might
consider buying a RAID controller but $200 is a lot and it's also one more
piece of hardware to fail.

So, how does one do good backups in Linux? I don't want some cryptic cron
job. I want a straightforward tool that copies and archives data and allows
for easy recovery of either one file or the whole thing. The simple backup
tool in the repos looked like a good option but there is no easy way to
recover all files that I can see, but one file at a time seems easy. In any
case I want something simple and automatic. I wish there was a time machine
for Linux but less crappy than the mac one.

Please enlighten. Thanks.
-jim