[CoLoCo] Amazon MP3's

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 01:29:33 GMT 2008

John Edwards wrote:
> One of the business I would get into if I had the money and/or the
> contacts to do so, would be a better type of music service, one that
> would not only leave artists control of their music (limited to
> short-term (1-2 years) contracts), but offer all different forms of
> distributing them.  Music CD's, MP3/WMA/OGG downloads, freely
> downloadable samples, etc, plus a larger share of profits going to the
> artists.
>
> I think it would attract artists, who will not only have more than one
> way to get their music out to the fans, but also have the ability to
> take their music (after their contracts expire) with them if they
> decide to leave.
>
> *sighs* It's a nice pipe-dream. :)  Maybe after I win the powerball....
That is similar to an idea I've had for a while.  My idea was for a new
kind of record label which serviced the artists and not the other way
around.  Each artist/group would have complete control over their music
via Creative Commons, the label would never have ownership, the studio
would provide each artist and/or group with their own website, a listing
on an iTunes style music store which would work with any MP3 player and
wouldn't use DRM, and the studio would also have an online radio station
and XM Satellite channel.  The label would take a small cut from artist
and group revenue as a service fee, would promote concerts, assist with
marketing merchandise based on the artist or group, advertising, and
would even mill out Audio CDs if the artist or group wanted to also sell
them that way too.  I envisioned the studio making distribution deals
with Best Buy, Sam Goody, FYE, Boarders Music and others to sell the CDs
of the artists and groups who want to sell CDs and to also give away
free singles sampler CDs to draw in business.  Its a grand idea that
would put the traditional major labels on their ear and I know it could
work if only I had the means by which to get it started.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home