[CoLoCo] Amazon MP3's

Richard Guenther richskyline at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 20:39:05 GMT 2008

On 3/4/08, Jim Hutchinson <jim at ubuntu-rocks.org> wrote:

>  Agreed. Hence my "NIN got it right" comment. So I wonder if there is a
> future where labels and RIAA are extinct and artists control their own fate
> and new artists can make it without having to convince some unhip exec to
> produce them...

Heck, I've been buying Dischord Records for years.  Their business model
eliminated lawyers, therefore their cds were almost half the price of other
labels.  This article calls them the Green Bay Packers of punk music:

http://www.spin.com/articles/dischord-records-out-step-world

We can consider DRM a sin.  I just consider it crap that I won't buy.  When
Amazon announced their DRM-free downloads, I knew I'd never use iTunes
again.  I was naive when I first used iTunes.  Silly me.  What a rude
surprise when I first tried to simply transfer them to another of my
computers.  Then I had to burn them all as several cds and then rip them
back as DRM-free mp3s.  Sillyness.

Of course that was a long time ago.  Now I would never consider buying any
DRM files.  Now my iPod is controlled by me :-).  Students think it's
impossible to take music OFF of an iPod.