[CoLoCo] SATA RAID controller

Tue Mar 4 18:49:52 GMT 2008

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 10:47:38 -0700, Jim Hutchinson wrote
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 2:20 AM, W S <ws3reg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Seriously, software RAID is your friend.  Is there a specific reason
> > you want to go with hardware based RAID?  3ware has been in the
> > mainline kernel for a long time, and it's the only SATA/IDE RAID
> > controller I trust.
> >

> Mainly I wanted to go hardware RAID because my software RAID isn't working
> and I don't know how to fix it. I have both drives set up as RAID volumes.
> fdsik reports them as such. But mirroring isn't working. My mirror drive is
> empty. I think hardware based RAID would just be simpler to do and more
> reliable. If I hadn't bothered to check and something happened my whole
> reason for setting up RAID would have been for naught.

Hardware RAID is not management free, or appreciably simpler, even.  Please post the
commands you used to create your mirror, if they're still in your history.  Or bring it
to the CLUE Installfest.  Do you have the OS on it's own partition and enough space to
create a backup?

David L. Willson
Trainer/Engineer/Consultant
MCT, MCSE, Linux+