[CoLoCo] Having troubles with Alice....

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Mon Jun 16 15:36:57 BST 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 07:42:04AM -0600, Kevin Fries wrote:
> Install real Java not that BS open source crap Ubuntu insists on
> installing by default.  In Ubuntu, its called sun-java6.*

Kevin, it's quite possible that you're right that Ringo's problems
with Alice come because it relies on aspects of Sun's Java that don't
behave the same way in GCJ - thanks for the input.

But can you please keep the expletives off this list?

I bet it is the extraordinary efforts of the GCJ folks that have
forced Sun's hand in starting to release Java as open source, and we
all benefit from that.

And remember that it is certainly not Ubuntu's fault that there still
is not a full open-source implementation of Java.  Sun has opened most
of it up, and we're confident that Sun will eventually open up the
remaining code in areas like security.  But they are the ones who
are not yet meeting the very clear policy guidelines that have made
Ubuntu the great success that it is.

You are also of course free to use a distro that packages and bundles
the stuff you want the way you want it.  That is the benefit of open
source.  But bitching about something Ubuntu can't and shouldn't
change on a local team list is pointless and irritating.

Thanks,

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/