[CoLoCo] Having troubles with Alice....

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 21:26:54 BST 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Richard Guenther <richskyline at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to get Alice (a java app that teaches programming concepts
> written at Carnegie Melon University) to run correctly on Ubuntu.  My
> eventual goal would be to have an Ubuntu lab set up in my classroom this
> next year.  One of the last hurdles in convincing them that Ubuntu is all I
> need is that Alice works correctly on Win XP, but not on Ubuntu--not quite.
> First of all, here's where you can get Alice (You don't INSTALL it, you just
> run it from it's folder--but it is large).
>
> http://www.alice.org/
>
> Here's the problem: on Ubuntu Alice looks wrong graphically.

Ubuntu must have something that standard real-world debian systems
don't. On my system (debian sid current as of a few days ago) the
Alice run script is looking for something called PyJava. No hint of
any such requirements on the Alice site. The only comment I could
ggogle about this is the following:

"The PyJava site has not been updated since 1997
and the JPI site, although it does not mention any explicit dates,
makes no mention of later operating system releases (Solaris 7, Windows
98, Windows 2000)."

So, I can't help you.

--
Collins Richey