[CoLoCo] using a router as wifi card???

Wirt Wolff wirtwolff at comcast.net
Mon Jun 2 19:24:09 BST 2008

Jim Hutchinson wrote:
>  I've heard that a Linksys router running dd-wrt can be set up as a
> range extender meaning that it would talk to another router rather
> than directly to a modem. If that is true, would it matter if you were
> connected to said router wired or wirelessly? In short, you would use
> a wired connection to a router as a replacement for a wifi card in the
> PC. Is this possible?

Got a couple of boxes on a little Buffalo router doing exactly that
right now if I understand you correctly. While there are other ways, I
found it pretty simple to set it up by using the instructions at
 http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

Jim, you've already got a dd-wrt router flashed as I remember, so the
only other gotcha that comes to mind is that some routers (as in your
main wireless router connected to the internet) won't let you route to
subnets, while the wiki link above assumes that you want to set up your
Client Mode box(es) on a different subnet.

Happy packet shuffling,
Wirt