[CoLoCo] LVM Issues

Chomafin chomafin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 03:30:22 BST 2008

 I'm having some issues with my LVM, hoping for some help.
Running Ubuntu 8.04; LVM2; ReiserFS

I had 2 drives in my LVM which started to get full. So I decided to pick up
a new drive. My motherboard only has 2 SATA controllers, so I also picked up
a PCI -> SATA controller. After flashing the SATA card to the newest silicon
image bios, everything appears to have installed smoothly.  Fast forward
about 2 weeks, I start to get some really bad performance issues on the LVM.
My assumption is that the first 2 disks finally filled up and its starting
to use the new drive.

I'm unable to copy any (new)file for more than 56.9MB of its contents.  This
is when talking about files that are around 700MB.. Any file created before
the new drive was added to the LVM works fine. This is both when doing a
copy from 1 folder to the next (same LVM mount), but also during scp
transfers to another server.

My first assumption is that PCI really wasn't the best, so I ordered a new
PCI-e -> Sata. The LVM detects the drive just fine, but the same issue
(56.9mb issue and all). So now, I'm assuming maybe the drive is messed up. I
run a reiserfsck, and it detects no errors. I decide to try and remove the
drive from the LVM, and durring the resize_reiser I get an error about bad
blocks.

So now, I'm wanting to pull the new drive from the LVM, and I'll create a
new LVM device with the drive for testing before I RMA the drive. Since I
cannot resize the reiserFS; How can I pull the drive from the LVM? Any other
ideas about the drive/LVM that I might of missed?

Thanks
- Ian