[CoLoCo] 1:1 laptops/tablets in Denver school.

David Overcash funnylookinhat at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 04:03:23 BST 2008

Jim...  I just had an idea.

I browsed over to http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for
a starting point to develop rhetoric in explaining why providing and
encouraging FOSS is good...  and while there I couldn't help but laugh at
the horrible arguments that RMS makes to what I had thought was a page for
the "everyday computer user".

I don't know of any school teachers or administrators, let alone even
network administrators, who would actually appreciate the ability to "study,
change, copy, and redistribute [word]."  It seems to me that when these
people are shown such technical reasons for anything, they simply ignore it
based on inability to comprehend...  Not that we use such silly arguments,
but I think that often times our arguments and points come across not only
as elitist, but also as over-technical and as not addressing the simple
issues at hand.  (I think I'm generally more elitist-sounding when it comes
to this than most, so I take the blame on that front)  : )

In any case, it would be a good project for this LoCo team to begin to build
and create a set of rhetoric and arguments, backed up by solid facts and
statistics, to promote the use of FOSS in schools and other educational
institutions.  I think a lot of other LoCo teams could definitely use this,
and it would also prove to really bolster our demonstrations at TIE each
year.

Anyone interested in heading up such a project or collaborating with
others?  I'll be honest and say I have little to no time  available right
now, but that could change very much in the coming weeks.

Let me know,
David