[CoLoCo] Laptops for Africa

David Overcash funnylookinhat at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 16:34:07 BST 2008

Hey Guys,
So as some of you know, I spent a month in Africa this summer visiting
orphanages and spending time with kids in their schools.  My main goal was
to develop guidelines and find the big problems with creating a non-profit
organization to build and support computer labs in developing countries.
One of the problems I encountered was ensuring that computers that were
donated would be put to good use, rather than being sold just for the money;
while I don't have a great solution to this issue yet, I did find one
orphanage run by a couple of Americans and a very trustworthy Ugandan that
needs a few computers to help the boys that live there begin to learn more
efficiently.

Chris West (one of the Americans) is in the United States right now raising
more money for the orphanage, and he asked me very honestly if I could
donate any computers to him for the orphanage.  I have one old laptop that I
am going to outfit with Linux and send to him, but he could use a few more.
I know it's a longshot, but if any of you have old laptops that you would
like to donate (or maybe sell to me very cheap?) it would be appreciated so
much.  I see this as my first venture into the world of non-profits, and
know that it could greatly influence how I move further.

Unfortunately, I have not registered as a 501c3, so your donation cannot be
tax-deductable.  However, I have taken some great pictures of the boys at
this orphanage while I was over there and would love to send you an 8x10
that you could frame.  Sometimes it helps to see who it is that you are
helping.  : )

So that's my request.  Thank you so much for your patience in reading this
guys, I know that it doesn't necessarily connect with the purpose of the
mailing list, but if there is one thing I learned about Ubuntu enthusiasts
(especially on this team), is that they are largely interested in helping
those who cannot afford or use computers otherwise.

Sincerely,
David Overcash