[CoLoCo] keepassx

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Sat Jul 12 00:06:09 BST 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:17 AM, CHUCK SIMCOX <cpsimcox33 at msn.com> wrote:

>  Neal:
> Sorry, things haven't become obvious to me.  I have created one group
>  & added a couple of entries, but then what???
> Chuck GJ
Chuck, I use this all the time for bank and a host of other passwords. I'm
sure I could get you started but I'm not sure what to answer. If you can be
more specific I can probably give you the steps. In short, once you have a
group, right click the right pane and choose add new entry. In the window
that pops up you give it a title and whatever other info you want and then
type in or generate a password. I like to generate complex ones for banks
and such. Pay attention to the rules of the site and uncheck characters that
not allowed or edit the password if necessary. It asks you to confirm it and
whether by design or a bug, it doesn't show anything. Don't worry. I usually
just copy/paste and it works fine. There may have been an update because it
seems to act differently now but when I paste now it pastes twice. Again,
not sure if this is a bug or feature but once you get the password in right
you can then open it and copy the password to the clipboard and paste it to
the site you want to log into. You can also have firefox save passwords and
use a master password to make sure they are locked. However, I prefer not to
have firefox remember bank passwords which is why keepassx is cool. Btw, in
windows it's just called keepass and is available as a portable app.

Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)