[CoLoCo] OSX, UBUNTU, or Windows... take your pick... a PC that runs them all...

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 08:36:09 BST 2008

Chomafin wrote:
> You may be interested in the OSX86 project.. http://www.osx86project.org/
> Also, I'm not sure how long Psystar will be able to keep up with this.
> I'm pretty sure they are breaking the OSX terms of agreement etc to
> put the OS on non apple hardware.
That's a legally uncertain area.  Technically the court could say that
since Psystar isn't modifying Mac OS X in any way to allow it to run on
their hardware then there is no violation.  There is the major precedent
of the IBM suit against clone manufacturers in the 1980's, a lawsuit
that they lost.  This ruling could be applied to Apple's computers as
well, thus legitimizing the Psystar computer since what they are doing
isn't stealing Apple technology but mimicking it like the IBM clone
manufacturers did.  Also, you still have to buy Mac OS X to use it on
the Psystar PC, yet another counter to any argument Apple might come up
with.  I think because Apple hasn't gone after these guys like they've
done to other companies is probably because they know the law is
currently on Psystar's side, and as long as they are SELLING Mac OS X
they're getting money regardless.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com