[CoLoCo] [off topic] open or linux friendly smart phone

John Edwards eric.the.grey at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 20:05:41 BST 2008

Having followed this from the sidelines, I'd really like to see a review of
the actual phone and it's capabilities.

One line struck me as odd though:

Users have full root access to a BusyBox shell with all of the standard
> scripting tools like sed and awk.

I hope that the phone, or tools included at the very least include a good
backup and restore option. :p  I'm one of those who can break a Linux system
completely by messing around with it too much (something I've learned to
avoid...) and I'm certain other people can claim the same thing.

I'm really hoping that by the time I can afford to get one, t-mobile has
them on their official list.

John Edwards

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 11:08 AM, siblog <tehsiblog at gmail.com> wrote:

> OpenMoko review
> http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/open-moko-software.ars
>
> -Simon
>

> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:35 PM, <telecon at infosyndicate.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 01:35:06PM -0600, siblog wrote:
>> > Wow, you are right. I personally am going to wait on some reviews before
>> > even start to consider it. Without 3G I don't see myself getting it
>> unless
>> > the reviews are amazing but I am guessing that I will just have to wait
>> for
>> > Google Android.
>>
>> if it were a CDMA version, I would probably go for it.
>>
>> I like my palm phone, but am a bit worried about the future of Palm/Treo.
>>
>> --

Rule #1 of working in any creative field in the 21st century should be: Your
Fans Are Not The Enemy.
Charlie Stross.