[CoLoCo] LoCo wallpaper

Darrin Goodman darrin.goodman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 19:23:10 BST 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:10 AM, siblog <tehsiblog at gmail.com> wrote:

> Darrin,
>
> I really like your wallpapers and especially the transparent banner at the
> bottom. Is it another layer? Can you post that banner too? I would really
> like to add it to some of my other wallpapers or use it when trying to make
> my own. I have limited knowledge of Gimp so please excuse my ignorance.
>
> -Simon

Thanks Simon.  I've got another couple of ideas for wallpaper images that
I'll try to put together over the course of the next week or so, and I'll
post to the list once that happens.

The blue and white flag is on its own layer, and I have just reduced the
opacity of the layer, which makes it semi-transparent.  My "master" editable
version is sized to 2048x1536, so I make changes to that file, and then
resize it to smaller dimensions for different sized monitors.  I have posted
the "master" .xcf image (Gimp) online (it's about 18 MB) and you can
download it at the link below.  Once you open the file up in the Gimp, look
at your layers palate; click on the layer called "Flag", and look for the
area (above the layers) called "Opacity".  You will see that this layer is
set to 63.9% opacity, and that it is set to "Normal" mode.  Click on the
dropdown menu for "Normal" and play around with some of the other options to
see some of the different opacity effects that you can achieve.
http://www.hilltopyodeler.com/images/wallpapers/coloco-2048x1536.xcf

You mentioned wanting to use the transparent flag layer in other images.
You can merge the Ubuntu logo layer, the Colorado 'C' layer, and the flag
layer into one layer, resize the image to the same size and resolution as
the image that you are working on, and then drag the desired layer into your
new image.  If you have questions about how to do this, feel free to email
me individually (so as to not spam the list....) and I'll be happy to
assist.

If anyone is interested in knowing, the image of the tree was one that I
shot on CSU campus a few years back.  I've got a "mad scientist" idea that I
plan to work on next, based on a photo that I shot at last year's Tour De
Fat.

- Darrin