[CoLoCo] [off topic] need advice on building computer

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Tue Jan 29 17:42:12 GMT 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 10:27 AM, Mitch Mahan <mitch at kci.net> wrote:
> Just buy from Dell...
>
> I used to be an avid 'build it yourself and save money' sort of guy... but
> well; it's just not the case anymore. You can buy a Dell for the same price
> as you can build a rig from NewEgg.
>
> However, you save yourself a lot of anguish by buying from a major
> distributor. There are so many defective parts running around (mobo's, ram,
> incompatible ram->mobo, bios upgrades to make your mobo work... etc. etc.)
> that it's really just better to buy from a large company (so you don't have
> to screw around with anything and so you can just send the whole thing back
> in if it doesn't work).

Mitch, I agree that a Dell or similar will often come it at a similar
or even cheaper price, but there are still some benefits to
build-your-own.

1. choose your os (dell is getting better about this but not a true option yet)
2. no crapware
3. control over the parts (no generic stuff)
4. customize your look

Those may not be big issues but they are worth considering. Plus, it's
fun to build your own. Most parts come with decent warranties although
the RMA process can be a pain. However, with a Dell, if you don't buy
the extended warranty you are SOL in a year. I also tried to use their
website and it is seriously annoying. I could not customize an xps
system. Just tons of flash telling me how great it is.

However, thanks for the input.

-jim