[CoLoCo] [off topic] need advice on building computer

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Tue Jan 29 17:17:04 GMT 2008

Hey all,

I have a student who wants to build a nice gaming rig that is somewhat
future proof (i.e. upgradeable), capable of playing most popular games
respectably and costing around $1200. I put together a list of
components on Newegg but not being a gamer I'm not sure how it will
play. I didn't go for a high end graphics card as most people seemed
to think the one I chose played games just fine (probably not crysis).
I went for a more expensive mobo to be upgradeable (can take a quad
core for example) but went for a mid or high-mid CPU. The PSU may be
overkill but again wanting something that would last a long time. Any
thoughts on how this will perform or adjustments you would make? A PDF
of the parts list is attached.

Thanks.
-jim